For your first appointment call:0191 263 6200
Our team has over fifty years of collective experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to residential conveyancing. There are few areas of residential conveyancing that the team has not dealt with before and you can be assured that the team will make the remortgage of your property as easy and stress free as it can be.
We have four members of the team who may work on your matter. Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by Paul Dodds, Partner and Head of Conveyancing. Paul Dodds is assisted by Michael Boyce, Solicitor, Rob Mason, Chartered Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives (FCILEx), and Kate Mitchell, Legal Assistant.
Paul Dodds – Partner
Senior Partner Paul Dodds qualified as a solicitor in 1979 and opened his own firm, this firm, in 1983. He has over 40 years’ experience in property law and conveyancing.
Michael Boyce – Solicitor
Michael qualified as a solicitor in Northern Ireland in 2012 before moving to the UK. He has specialised in property law and conveyancing since qualifying.
Rob Mason – FCILEx
Rob has been a Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives (a non-solicitor lawyer) since 1982 and is now a Chartered Legal Executive. He has over 30 years experience in property law and conveyancing.
Kate Mitchell – Legal Assistant
Kate has worked for the firm for a number of years, exclusively in conveyancing, and assists Paul, Michael and Rob with day to day matters.
Each of our fee-earners undertaken regular training on conveyancing to ensure that they remain up to date with the law.
Our fees* cover all the work required to complete the remortgage of your property.
The precise stages involved in the purchase of a residential remortgage vary according to the circumstances. However, some key stages include:
- Taking your instructions and giving you initial advice
- Receive and advise on contract documents
- Carry out searches
- Give you advice on all documents and information received
- Go through conditions of mortgage offer
- Send final contract to you for signature
- Draft Transfer
- Obtain pre-completion searches
- Arrange for all monies needed to be received from lender and you
- Complete remortage
- Deal with application for registration at Land Registry
How long will my remortgage take?
How long it will take will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes about 4 weeks. It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties and lender involved. If property being remortgaged is leasehold, for example, then this can cause the remortgage to take longer.
Residential conveyancing work, including remortgages, is generally undertaken on the basis of fixed fees. The following information is provided to assist you in understanding how our fees are calculated. The prices provided are indicative of the likely cost in a transaction or case and should not be taken as an absolute quote. You must still contact us to obtain a detailed quote which takes into account the individual circumstances of your transaction or case.
- Legal fees £315.00
- VAT £63.00
- Electronic money transfer fee £30.00**
- VAT payable £6.00
- Subtotal £414.00
Our fee assumes that:
- this is a standard transaction and that no unforeseen matters arise including for example (but not limited to) a defect in title which requires remedying prior to completion or the preparation of additional documents ancillary to the main transaction
- this is the assignment of an existing lease and is not the grant of a new lease
- the transaction is concluded in a timely manner and no unforeseen complication arise
- all parties to the transaction are co-operative and there is no unreasonable delay from third parties providing documentation
- no indemnity policies are required. Additional disbursements may apply if indemnity policies are required.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as search fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. There are certain disbursements which will be set out in the individual lease relating to the Property. The disbursements which we anticipate will apply are set out separately below. This list is not exhaustive and other disbursements may apply depending on the term of the lease. We will update you on the specific fees upon receipt and review of the lease from the seller’s solicitors.
- Land Registry search fee: £3.00
- Office Copies: £3.00
- Money Laundering Search (per person): £6.00
- Bankruptcy Search: £4.00
- Land Registry fee: £30.00
- Subtotal: £46.00
Grand total £460.00
*These fees vary from property to property and can on occasion be significantly more than the figure given above. This is our average fee during the three months to 30 September 2018. We can give you an accurate figure once we have sight of your specific documents.
**We make a charge of £30.00 plus VAT for each telegraphic (electronic) transfer that we undertake. On a remortgage there is likely to be one such transfer to redeem your existing mortage.
You may choose to receive any monies due to you by cheque or telegraphic transfer. There is no charge for receiving proceeds or other monies by cheque. If you choose to receive monies by telegraphic transfer then we will charge an additional fee of £30.00 plus VAT.
Possible Additional Disbursements in respect of Leasehold Properties
- Notice of Transfer fee – This fee if chargeable is set out in the lease. Often the fee is between £100.00 and £200.00.
- Notice of Charge fee (if the property is to be mortgaged) – This fee is set out in the lease. Often the fee is between £100.00 and £200.00.
- Deed of Covenant fee – This fee is provided by the management company for the property and can be difficult to estimate. Often it is between £100.00 and £200.00.
- Certificate of Compliance fee – To be confirmed upon receipt of the lease, as can range between £100.00 and £200.00.
These fees vary from property to property and can on occasion be significantly more than the ranges given above. We can give you an accurate figure once we have sight of your specific documents.